Today, I was struck with a clip from “America Gots Talent”, which showed a very strong performance of Mandy Harvey. Mandy Harvey is a 29 years old girl that lost her hearing ability through a disease at the age of 18. According to this (for sure she is) star, she has been singing since she was 4. Being def, she adapted her performance to be able to sense the beats of the music and keep the rhythm with the aid of visual cues and “with trusting her pitch”. Wow, and what a pitch she has!!! The voice of an angel. The public was stunned by her performance and so was the jury…
Mandy Harvey is taking action
Now, you might think, why would I post this on this blog, for other reasons then I really liked it and was emotionally touched by her performance. I was actually planning on writing a post on taking action today, and although Mandy Harvey is singing about “Try”, she did not “Try”, she took action!! She not only took action but she took on an attitude towards her “condition” which could be very inspiring for everyone of us.
Our outlook and attitude on life in general, plays a huge part in how happy we feel in life and how successful we become. Someone who thinks positively about everything will be more relaxed, calm and smile more than someone who is always looking on the bad side, who lets stress get to them and who constantly wears a frown.
The way you are thinking and feeling, does not only affect you, it also affects those around you. In short, our mood affects our day. Developing and keeping a positive outlook is essential if you wish to lead a positive and fulfilling life.
There are many ways in which you can develop a more positive outlook and begin to change how you think and feel about many situations that you encounter in day-to-day living. Changing your attitude and not slipping back into negative thinking will take time but eventually the new outlook will become second nature.
I “tried” (no pun intended ;-)) to list 5 main key points to remember when you “try” changing your outlook:
- Turn your way of thinking into positive thinking and practice on a daily basis thinking positively. You should set your mind on completing one task at a time and think only of a positive outcome and how good you will feel when you have completed the task. Never give in to doubt and let yourself believe that you have taken too much on and just keep going.
- Don’t let your conversations turn negative. When in a conversation it is easy to let others discourage you, particularly if they have a negative outlook on life. Don’t be tempted to fall back into your old ways, turn negative talk into positive and look for the good in everything and any situation.
- Look for the positive in those around you and point it out. This way you can encourage a positive attitude all around you.
- Whatever you are doing in your day-to-day life always look for the good in it. Although it might be a boring task which you usually hate doing and one which leaves you feeling negatively, try to find something about it that turns it into a more positive situation.
- Never let yourself become distracted or hoodwinked into going back to negativity. It takes time to change the way you feel and think and if you have been down on yourself and the world for a long time then your new outlook will take a while to register and stay around.
Life Improvement through changing outlook
You will find over time that many areas of your life can be improved, just by changing your outlook from a negative one to a more positive. You will find that your self-esteem improves, you become more popular, you feel happier and are more confident than before, you are able to tackle the tasks you once hated without them causing you stress and anxiety and your relationships improve. These are just a few of the areas where you can self-improve and gain a more positive outlook and thus lead a more positive life and ad up successes.
Now back to Mandy Harvey. I am pretty sure she had some set backs in her life and especially during the last 10 years when she lost her hearing. But I dare to say with a staggering amount of certainty that having a positive outlook is one of her drivers to become this powerhouse. Is she a good singer or performer? I would say hell yeah! But don’t take my word for it, Simon Cowell decided to use his golden buzzer to put her straight into the finally of AGT and he has seen a thing or two.
As always, thanks for reading and have a conscious day!
Filip De Pessemier
great stuff as always my dear friend, thank you for pointing me here!